You by Caroline Kepnes
I literally just finished reading and my goodness, I LOVED IT. Now, I did watch and enjoy the show before I found out it was a book and of course, being me, I just had to read the book to note comparisons and differences.
I really enjoyed how well written the book is and how the story flows. There aren’t any slow spots where you’re just plowing through to get to the good parts. The entire book is the good part. Joe Goldberg is a crazy, psychotic, fucking lunatic. It’s as fascinating as it is disturbing. I like how Joe is honest with himself about his feelings, BUT he lies to himself when it comes to him being crazy. He thinks having access to Beck’s old phone and following her around out of the city is good for their relationship and I just… He’s nuts!
I do NOT victim blame. That’s not what I’m about to do here. But honestly, Beck was a dumb bitch. Let’s be honest. Joe was right. Beck loved attention. Especially from the wrong people. Joe was already crazy about her but she made him fall for her and she cheated on him and lied to him about multiple things. And this is conflicting as hell, but I liked her because she did do and say things that made Joe happy, ever though he doesn’t deserve it.
There was no crazy, abusive boyfriend always hitting the neighbor the next door like in the show, so I was curious as to how Beck would find her things hidden in Joe’s apartment. I wanted to read about Joe confronting and beating on Nicky like in the Joe but was let down (lol). Peach was just as obsessive and annoying in the show as she was in the book. I honestly wanted to fight her. Beck was such a pushover when it came to Peach. Also, Peach didn’t die from a struggle for a gun with Joe in the book; he beat her in the head with a rock and threw her in the water.
Now, I’m naturally an analytical person and a Virgo 🙂 so there are just a few minor things that I want to say regarding the book (lol).
1. Beck really put vanilla ice cream on Joe’s penis and had sex with him without a condom. Ma’am… Hello? Had you lived, how were you gonna get Joe to treat your yeast infection? Hm?
2. Also relating to Joe and Beck having sex without a condom, him killing her within those same few hours, burying her body, then making it seem as though Nicky was who killed her… How, Sway? Wouldn’t Joe’s DNA be all up in and on her body?
3. I know Beck knew about Peach’s lies because ain’t no way she’s pulling all these shenanigans at the perfect time. Beck was an enabler when it came to Peach. Listen, Peach would’ve just had to be waiting on me because I’m not leaving a date that has barely started when I’m getting [redacted] under the table at a nice restaurant. OK?!
4. How is it no one thought it was weird that Joe literally had no friends. None. Zero. All he had was his coworker who he sometimes couldn’t stand. No one found that odd.
5. Last thing and I apologize if I offend anyone (lol) but… who has sex again with someone after the first time only lasted only 8 seconds?
Anyways! I loved this book. And I’m even happier because I just found out about the sequel Hidden Bodies. This is definitely a book I’ll read again. And the show is just as amazing. Go treat yourself and enjoy both!